The very wonderful Warren Bobrow has had no electricity most of the week but that hasn’t stopped him from sending Modenus his weekly splash of magic. And maybe we shouldn’t be surprised that it’s a hot toddy. In fact it’s a spiced hot rum and butter with freshly scraped nutmeg and Chinese five spice powder. The East meets west cocktail
Here is the recipe
- 3 shots of spiced rum like Sailor Jerry or Chairman’s Reserve if you can find it. Or make your own spiced rum with nutmeg, cardamom, ginger, cinnamon, pinch of cayenne, vanilla sugar and five spice powder in a cheesecloth bag. Drop into a bottle of dark rum for about a month or so.
- Prepare a pot of black tea
- Place Cozy on t-pot and let steep
- Preheat mug with boiling water
- Toss out water, add rum then hot tea. Finish with a pat of sweet butter and a sprinkle of fleur du sel.
Warren says “Have an extra shot of rum on the side if your electricity and heat are off in sub freezing temperatures”.
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is just one of the reasons why we love Warren.